Friday, September 21, 2012

Giant Turkeys

Tomorrow may be the official start of autumn, but there was something very autumnal about the way we woke up this morning.  There we were, asleep, and suddenly Murgy starts growling.  This is a serious but low-so-as-not-to-cause-too-much-alarm growl that only occurs when something out of the ordinary is happening (bears, snow, the fireplace turning itself on once before we knew how that worked).  Tired, I told her to "shhh" because I myself didn't hear anything odd.

Awake, Garret left to go make some coffee.  As soon as he was gone, Murgy hopped up by the window on his side of the bed and started barking.  I always like to be right, even with the dog, so I promptly hopped up by the window so that I could say, "See, there's nothing there!".  However, there was something there: five giant turkeys!

I mean GIANT.  I did not take a picture, which I'm kind of proud of myself for.  Maybe I'm learning to just "live" life a little more and not see everything as a potential blog post (er... I say as I... post about it in my blog).  Anyway, we went downstairs to get a better look out of the window in my office/the guest room.  These things were HUGE!  I am telling you, they were like, the size of a sheep.  Garret said, "They're like DINOSAURS!".  (I think he was referring to the fact that they were so out-of-place large that they seemed prehistoric.  They weren't roaring or anything.)

Happy Fall!

Tomorrow Tracy is headed out to attend the Vermont Wine & Harvest Festival with us.  We were all set to go last year but it got cancelled because of Irene, so we're excited to finally have our wine festival date one year later.  On a separate little note, I find it pretty *awesome* that The Vermont Wine & Harvest Festival's web address is simply "thevermontfestival.com".  I guess the Wine & Harvest Festival is THE festival.  Be there or be square, VT!

In other news, we still don't have a garbage can.  A bear ate ours two months ago and since then we've been trying to get a new one... but we need a special one, because it has to be bear proof (that's right: lesson learned, bears!).  Our landlord ordered us one a million years ago, but then there was a fire in the bear-proof garbage can factory (???) and then something else happened (???) and we still have yet to see the arrival of this so-called garbage can.  Maybe some day...

It stands to reason that there's bears running that bear-proof garbage can factory, though, and they're just trying to keep us from getting a can in the hopes that they'll get more of our pic-a-nic baskets.




No comments:

Post a Comment